Friday, July 24, 2009

21 Years in Uttarakhand and still a Desi!!

I recently came across a senior of my ex-organization on Facebook...He had resigned & left the organization the very next month of my joining the same (2.5 years ago)... Therefore, I didn't get a chance to work with him...However, I had heard about him having a soft corner for people from Uttarakhand...His love for people from the foot hills of Himalayas became eminent from the skit that was organized on the occasion of his Farewell @ the company premises...His Surname gave me an inkling that perhaps he was a Kumaoni like me....

When I came across his profile on facebook I couldn't resist asking him his native place and what I got as an answer was surprising, "No, I am not Kumaoni. I did however grew up at Ranikhet and have spent first 21 years of my life at Uttaranchal. 17 years at Ranikhet and 4 at Roorkee! But am still a desi!!!"

I thought probably I had made a wrong guess and/or he didn't like my question so I apologized..but his response was overwhelming ,"That's the problem Bindia! One even does not get Utarakhand doicile even after spending first 21 years there!!! But what hurts is that you are still a Desi even after spending 21 years there!! LOL!! In US, you need much less to become citizen."

Coming from a grown up & well established man..with love for Uttarakhand and it's people...It's sad indeed that people wanting to work for it are denied it's domicile..is it justifiable?...can't say !!

No comments: