Saturday, September 22, 2007

What is Hunger?

The following two compositions have common theme…hunger….which though well known and visible; is still omnipresent….these were written on the occasion of World Food day (celebrated on 16th Oct) in the year 2000…these creations fetched me deserved and desired appreciation from all my teachers…however, I couldn't get answer to my question from the representatives of the organization working for the cause who were in the college premises to impress upon the cause….I asked them, “we are aware that hunger exists…we see it’s there….what as students can we do for the cause at the individual level”….he said spread awareness….but I feel the best I can do at my level is what my poems already said……


It isn’t something that can be seen or smelt,
But something that you & I never felt…
It’s something about getting meals just two times a day,
Which indeed is not a child’s play…?
It’s something that makes one fight,
For a piece of bread which should have been his birthright…
It’s something, about which we rarely think,
As we get to eat whatever we want even before we blink…
Can we feel the pain of a child, who hasn’t had anything for a week?
Perhaps no, as that’s something beyond our imaginations reach…
However, what we must recognize,
Is that everyone must get his or her share of dal & rice…
Because only then can we say, “All are equal”,
When everyone has food & there is food for all…

2 comments:

Deepak said...

nice one keep it up

Anonymous said...

equivalent from my side :)

दिल मैं दुःख दर्द किसी का कसका है तो
हर चांदनी जीवन से प्यार बढाती है
ईश्वर जिन्हें रच कर भूल गया
उनकी थकी आँखें मुझे पास बुलाती है