Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Please, don't be a teacher!

Curiosity as you know is deep rooted in human behaviour,
& can come out of you at any odd hour..
Being a human I’m curious too, you see,
About what my friends would do after M.Sc.?
So, I asked a few of them,” What are your future plans?”
They said in chorus,”Oh! We love to be called Ma’am”..
I asked them," So, you think you have the qualities essential to be a teacher?”
They got furious & replied,"You better worry about your future”..
I said," Don’t get angry, I just wanted to know, If I had a chance of the same career option,
& if I could also work in the similar direction?”..
Tell me what would you do, if a student puts up a question whose answer you never knew,
Slowly as their temperature went down,
& from excited state they reached the ground..
They said,” We know how to face such a problem”
& following is what they said was a permanent solution...
Tell the student,” You have done this in your previous year,
& the chances of my repeating it are very rare...
OR go & look for the book by Mr. So & So,
& if you still don’t understand come to me tomorrow...
A serious student would get the answer I’m sure,
& a non-serious one would not raise questions any more...
OR tell them,”This you can do yourself,
& if you don’t get the answer forget the question itself..
Above all tell them.” I expect you to know things so small”,
& add,”I’m afraid, your knowledge is abysmal”..
I’m thankful to my friends who brought my curiosity to an end,
& made me feel pity for their future students…
I wanted to tell them."Please don’t spoil the name of this noble profession,
For your stupid obsession...
For teachers lay the foundation of a future citizen,
For teachers are the makers of good human...
For teachers are the god if schools are temple,
For without them our dreams would crumble..
For they are the water of our knowledge pools,
So, if you think you can be a good teachers you are absolute fools”..
I wanted to stop them but kept quite,
As choosing their career option was their right...
Also because teachers had taught me the Newton’s third law of motion,
I knew for my every action there could be an equal and opposite reaction...
So, I well understood what stopping them meant,
& wished them all the best for the future as good friend..

My Inspiration for this poem were my M.Sc. teachers ; who often used above excuses in tricky situations :) No intentions of offending anyone..so if I happen to..I'm sorry :)


No comments: